AMTA Coaches & Alumni Advisory Council
Building on the success of the AMTA Student Advisory Board, AMTA is launching the Coaches & Alumni Advisory Council (CAAC). The CAAC is a collaborative, innovative, and diverse group of AMTA alumni and current coaches who will provide their perspective on a variety of issues before the American Mock Trial Association Board of Directors.
Selected members will be invited to serve a two-year term. The work of CAAC will be guided by each member’s commitment to:
- Inclusivity: Contribute to a diverse and inclusive learning and competitive environment for student competitors and others in the greater AMTA community.
- Participation: Actively share feedback and ideas through writing or listening circles with stakeholders from the AMTA Board of Directors.
- Innovation: Collaborate with other members of CAAC to find resources, technology, and other assets to aid AMTA in carrying out its mission.
- Respect: We believe in productive friction in discussions, and ensuring all voices feel welcome. While we may be competing in the courtroom, here we’re all running towards the same goal of bettering the AMTA experience for our community.
Responsibilities for members who serve on the CAAC include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Attending periodic Zoom listening sessions with members of the Board of Directors.
- Actively contributing to asynchronous discussions on key topics facing our community through an online written medium like email or Slack.
- Respecting the space and others to facilitate a comfortable, open forum for discussion – people may share personal stories meant for the small group, or you may have access to information that isn’t publicly available yet. Be mindful of what information should be kept private and what you can share with others.
- Engaging in productive, collaborative, and solutions-oriented discussions.
- Representing AMTA externally among the mock trial and broader communities. The CAAC is an arm of AMTA, and represents the organization as a non-profit – its actions can have broad effects on the organization as a whole.
AMTA competitor alumni and current AMTA coaches (defined as coaching a registered program in the 2023-2024 season) are invited to apply. There is no restriction related to graduation year for alumni; if you served on SAB as a student, you’re also encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed holistically after the application deadline. Members will be selected based on their written application – based on the quantity of applications we may elect to create a secondary round of Zoom interviews with members of the selection committee.
AMTA believes in championing diversity – we will take care to ensure the selected members are diverse in their race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other personal characteristics consistent with AMTA’s commitment to diversity.
Members will be considered from every geographic region, and will strive to include alumni and coach representatives associated with: programs with varying degrees of institutional financial support, programs that are new to AMTA, and programs that have different levels of competitiveness in AMTA.
Selected members will be invited to serve on the CAAC for a two-year term.
How to Apply
The application for the Coaches & Alumni Advisory Council will be posted here when available.