"One Last Time" Mock Trial Tournament
AMTA is excited to announce that the One Last Time Tournament is back by popular demand! The tournament will take place July 30 - August 1, 2021. This tournament aims to honor this year’s recent graduates, and to provide them an opportunity to compete One Last Time.
- The 2021 OLT Rulebook is posted below.
- Competitor and Alternate Registration is now closed.
- The case updated have been posted for all competitors, as of 7/23/2021
- Judge Registration is now open!
- Teams will consist of a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 5 competitors. Two attorneys and two witnesses will compete per side. An optional non-speaking ‘Trial Technician’ may also be rostered in place of the fifth competitor, subject to the Eligibility Rules.
- Registered teams will receive the case on July 16th.
- Time restrictions will be allotted per attorney rather than by speeches, directs, and crosses.
- After four rounds, the top two teams will compete head to head in the Final Round.
- AMTA will not be charging any registration fee to any participant for this competition.
- Plaintiff Sana Yoshida claims that she was harmed by Coach Alex Steiner and that Defendant Woodward High School is responsible for that harm because Woodward High School negligently hired and retained Steiner.
- Rules specific to OLT for 2021 are available here.
- Competitor eligibility is described here.
- Competitors may pick their teams regardless of school affiliation. If you have ever wanted to compete with your best friends from another school, this is your chance.
- If you are interested in competing and are not able to form a full team, AMTA will match you with others to create a full team. You can register as an individual or as a group of 2 or more competitors.
- If your team composition drops below the minimum number of competitors before the competition, AMTA will attempt to match you with sufficient competitors to field a team.
- Registration for competitors is now closed. We will release a team’s list closer to the competition.
- Registration as an Alternate
- Registration for alternates is now closed.
- The roles and eligibility of Alternates is available here.
- Alternates are NOT guaranteed an opportunity to compete.
- We may assign Alternates at any time, up to and including the day of the competition.
- If an Alternate has been offered a spot more than 7 days before the tournament, the Alternate has 24 hours to accept the offer. Failure to accept in a timely manner will forfeit the offered spot.
- Within 7 days of the tournament, offers will be made on a first come first served basis, such that multiple offers may be made simultaneously and the first to respond will receive the spot.
- Communications and Roster Changes
- Full and partial teams must select one person from the team to be the main contact. All communications from AMTA before and during the tournament will be directed to the main contact.
- You must inform us via email if your team composition changes at any point before the tournament. Also, if your team composition goes below four members, contact us immediately so that we can work to match you with competitors from the waitlist or alternates list.
- Team Number Assignment Required
- While we hope to give every registrant a place in the tournament, we cannot make any guarantees. Only those who have an assigned team number are guaranteed a spot in the tournament. Below you will find the process for team number assignment and confirmation.
- Individuals and Partial Teams – Team Matching Process
- Individuals and partial teams will be matched to each other based on their role preferences listed on the registration forms. While we hope to accommodate all role preferences, we cannot guarantee partial teams or individuals their requested roles.
- Teams formed during the matching process may be composed of all individual registrants, a partial team and individual registrants, or two partial teams.
- After a full team is created, we will send you an email with the team assignments and the contact information for the team members. The new team has 24-hours to respond and confirm their team composition. If the team responds within the 24-hour period, it will be assigned a team number. Failure to respond to the confirmation email will forfeit your team composition. The team will be dissolved and returned to the bottom of the individual and partial teams’ matching list.
- Full Teams – Team Number Confirmation
- After the close of registration, we will send you an email assigning a team number. The team has 24-hours to respond, and doing so will confirm their team number. Failure to respond to the confirmation email will forfeit your team number and your team will be moved to the waitlist.
- All trials will take place online using Zoom.
This page will be updated with more information as we get closer to the opening of registration. In the meantime, please email us with any questions.